Archive for February, 2007

Sherlock – The Forgotten Mac Program

Monday, February 26th, 2007

Just last week, I was in the midst of celebrating my birthday. It was more or less a camping trip and, like any true geek, I brought all my techie goodies with me just in case.

I had my Laptop, networking/FireWire cables, digital camera, AC inverter (so that my car could charge all my devices), and rechargeable batteries. You name it, I brought it and they all came in quite handy on the trip too. When I filled my CF card from my new Nikon D70 digital camera, my laptop was there to download the pictures and burn a CD backup just in case. When my camera batteries got low, I used my AC inverter, powered by the car, to charged my batteries and again, when I needed to check my email, my laptop connected through my cell phone to the net and I was able to stay connected to the outside world. All in all, I was prepared for anything, or so I thought.

As we were driving through Death Valley, miles away from any cell phone reception and further from any signs of civilization and the technological world, you can imagine how surprised I was when we came upon a broken down car. I slowed and signaled to the driver who was waiving me to pull over and help him. When I asked what the matter, I received the reply, “Non parlo inglese.”

After a few minutes of carefully planned gesticulation I learned that my two Italian friends, Mateo #1 and Mateo #2, were on their way to San Francisco when they hit a rock which smashed their oil pan and stranded them. There was an enormous language gap and most of our communications consisted of one word sentences such as “hungry?” and “hotel?” with the occasional compound 3 word sentence as in “what your email address?”

So you may be asking yourself what this little story has to do with technology so here it is: SHERLOCK by APPLE.

Fast forward 3 weeks and I’m home, about to go see a movie. Naturally, I opened up Sherlock to check the movie time and the translation button caught my eye. Translation button? I opened it up and realized that every Mac has a built in language translator ready to go with the 11th option from the top being “English to Italian.”

Here I am, a techno savvy computer dude and this most basic feature eluded me for years. If I would have known about it 3 weeks ago it would have made our rescue mission just a bit easier and allowed us to get to know our Italian friends a little more. On top of doing language translations, Sherlock can look up movie times w/ QuickTime previews, stock quotes, picture searching, yellow pages lookups and a lot more.

Sherlock, it’s back in my dock.

Tethering a Motorola Q and Mac OS X

Saturday, February 17th, 2007

First the Motorola Q must be paired with the computer.
•Enable Bluetooth and go to the Bluetooth Setup Assistant
•Setup a Mobile Phone
•Select the Mobile Phone Name as Set up in the Phone (Bluetooth Settings)
•Enter in the pairing security number into the phone when promted, this number will automatically be generated by the Mac OSX wizard
•Now the wizard will detect what services are available on the device. The option to use the paired item select use device for Dailup Networking connection and select continue

Setup Bluetooth Dialup Network Settings
•Username = Verizon Wireless Telephone number@vzw3g.com (example 3105551234@vzw3g.com)
•Password = vzw
•Phone Number = #777
•Apple Modem Script = Verizon Support (PC 5220)

Connecting Via Paired Q with Mac OS X
•Open Internet Connect
•Select Bluetooth
•Click Connect

Troubleshooting Mail Flow Problems in Exchange 2007

Sunday, February 11th, 2007

Troubleshooting mail flow issues in Exchange 2007:

1 – Run “Get-Command *queue*” from the PowerShell to see the right syntax
2 – Run Get-Queue from PowerShell to see all the messages Queued up.
3 – Picked one, copied message ID into clipboard
4 – Run Get-Queue |FL (The FL gives a full listing of
the message attributes including the last failed variable
5 – Find the issue to be with DNS
6 – Attempt to run nslookup -mx krypted.com (Failed lookup)
7 – Change DNS server from within Exchange (this is not available through
PowerShell)
8 – Attempt nslookup again (worked)
9 – Run “Retry-Queue *” from PowerShell to force a retry of all queued up
messages
10 – Monitor mail flow into my personal account and see that things tested
clean
11 – Document steps for all you crazy kids as it’s a good case study of
Exchange troubleshooting using the PowerShell, which I’m starting to like
more and more… There is a big learning curve but it’s almost to the point
where I’m saying that it’s worth it to do so. I got to the bottom of this
issue in less than 15 minutes, quick work with Exchange… PowerShell is a
pain with setup but makes admin work fairly easy. You can also learn a lot
about file dependencies and which libraries are used by which modules using
PowerShell. Also a nice feature…