This setup can be performed locally or remotely via Apple Remote Desktop 1. Have the user change the local password to the network password via the System preferences, if this step is skipped , add the Keychain minder application as a login item.
2 . Login as the 318admin account ( Create if necessary ) Do not use Fast User Switch!
3 . Verify the Bind for the system to Open or Active Directory
4 . Survey the existing home directory permissions viewing them numerically:
ls –lnd /Users/anna
# drwxr-xr-x+ 38 505 505 1292 Feb 29 14:36 anna
In this example 505 is the local users UID 5 . Obtain the UID of the local user:
id –u anna
6. Obtain the UID of the network user ,in this example the network username and local username are the same, the steps are the same if they are different
6.1 When using Active Directory Note “WALLCITY” is the NT STYLE DOMAIN for wallcity.org.
id –u ‘WALLCITY\anna’
6.2 When using Open Directory: Note iduro.wallcity.org is the Open Directory Server that the client is bound to.
dscl /LDAPv3/iduro.wallcity.org/ -read /Users/anna uidNumber
# uidNumber: 1035
Note the UID discovered for both the local user and the network user
7. Delete the local user account reference If configuring remotely via ARD, lock the screen before performing this step, so that the user cannot accidentally login during the process.
dscl . -delete /users/anna
8. Change the ownership (recursively) numerically using the network uid and the “staff” group in this example 138809240 is the AD network uid discovered on step 6.
chown -R 138809240:staff /Users/anna
9. Create the mobile account
9.1 For Leopard 10.5 Systems sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/ManagedClient.app/Contents/Resources/createmobileaccount -n anna Note: NO line break above
9.2 For Tiger 10.4 Systems Note: MCXCacher-Uanna sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/mcxd.app/Contents/Resources/MCXCacher -U anna
10. Verify permissions where changed to network account numerically ls -lnd /Users/anna
# drwxr-xr-x+ 39 138809240 20 1326 Feb 29 16:04 /Users/anna
10.1 Verify uid->username resolution works (i.e. 138809240 equals anna or WALLCITY\anna and 20 equals staff as shown
ls -ld /Users/anna
# drwxr-xr-x+ 39 anna staff 1326 Feb 29 16:04 /Users/anna